Sunday, August 7, 2011

Creative Kenyan Kids

I didn't see any children playing with real toys in the Kenya slums. Well, I did see one kid's bike and one teddy bear. I did see a lot of kids making things out of trash and other found items to play with. The thing that struck me the most after my first walk through the Mathare slum was how creative they children were. Here are some photos that show that creative side.

throwing bottlecaps into the air

looks like a water bottle leash!

visor

mud water balloon?

I loved these guys playing with electronic parts.

They were having a blast!

Notice that he has a plant in a cup of soil.

paper airplanes and paper hats


another paper airplane

I assume he found the mask in the trash.

I wonder where it came from?

An epic mask!



She found a calculator. I don't know if it worked.

He was playing with a bag. I asked to take his photo.

So he wore it on his head.

Made a hat or headband out of string.


a corn cob on a string


He was a neighborhood kid watching the farewell celebration

Homemade balloon?

Bag of water on a string.

I wish I had pictures of the homemade soccer balls that I saw. They were made of tape around plastic garbage bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment