Friday, May 6, 2011

A Girl named Mercy from the Mathare Slums



Here is a video showing a resilient girl from the Mathare slums. It shows a bit of the slums, her school, her family, and inside a her home. The most important part, however, is the girl. From the description on Youtube.
This is about a 14-year-old girl I met when I went to visit Mercy Care Centre School in the Mathare slums of Nairobi. I was blown away by her strength and dignity that she displayed despite everything she had been through. She opened up my eyes to the huge resilience, awesome potential and amazing attitudes of the children in Africa. I am tired of the 'poor' being portrayed as weak and helpless. The children I met were so strong and they had great dreams ahead of them. They are amazing people who deserve every right that anyone else has across the world. Mercy Care Centre School is providing opportunities for these children to overcome poverty and become tomorrow's leaders."

No comments:

Post a Comment